Key Events In The Professional Life of Len Berman
- New York City --1962-1969∙ Junior high school language arts, reading, speech and drama teacher and Language Arts/Reading Chairperson at age twenty-three. (Friedsam Junior High 214, Brooklyn, N.Y.,1962-1964.
- ∙ Middle school language arts/humanities teacher and Language Arts/Humanities Chairperson.
- ∙ Conceived and created an Interdisciplinary Middle School Humanities Program that was selected as one of the models by the New York City Board of Education for replication throughout the system. 1964.
- ∙ Invited to write sixth and seventh grade humanities units at NYC Board of Education, 1965.
- ∙ English/Drama teacher at Springfield Gardens High School in Queens. Directed senior musicals. 1966- 1969.
Trenton -- 1969-1975
- ∙ Invited to New Jersey State Department to be their Consultant, Arts, Humanities and Humanistic Education at age twenty-nine. (Trenton, 1969.)
- ∙ Designed and facilitated yearly five day institutes at Trenton State for those interested in Valuing Education and Creativity with day care center. 1970-1974.
- ∙ Designed and taught practicums for Televised Studies, the largest statewide in-service program ever attempted. (Local districts and Monmouth College, 1974-1978).
∙ Designed and presented staff development workshops from 1969 through 1996:
HIGHER ORDER THINKING SKILLS
DISCUSSING VALUES IN THE SUBJECT MATTER WE TEACH
DISCUSSING VALUES THROUGH NEWSPAPERS
TEACHING VALUES THROUGH THE U.S.CONSTITUTION
PROBLEM SOLVING WITH PEOPLE
TRANSACTIONAL ANALYSIS AND CLASSROOM BEHAVIOR
TEACHER EFFECTIVENESS TRAINING
LESSON PLANNING FOR THE DOUBLE PERIOD
CREATIVITY: THE FIFTH LEVEL OF COGNITION
ENRICHMENT IN THE CLASSROOM FOR ALL
Camden County Office of Education--1975-1996.
- Created the Camden County Curriculum Consortium
- Created the Camden County Consortium for Gifted and Talented Education
- Coordinated the Governor's School Selection Committee
∙ N.J. State Arts and Humanities Educators, President
∙ North East Regional Arts and Humanities Educators, President
∙ N.J. State Teen Arts Advisory Council
∙ N.J. State Gifted/Talented Association
∙ Camden County Curriculum Consortium, Coordinator
∙ Camden County Educators of the Gifted and Talented
∙ Camden County College Staff Development Advisory Council
∙ Camden County Traffic Safety Task Force Advisory Committee
∙ Camden County Local Advisory Committee for Drugs and Alcohol
∙ Camden County Technology Committee,
Teacher of English
Teacher of Speech
Chief School Administrator
Educational Consultant 1996-2000
- Instructor at Congregation M'kor Shalom. 1983-1995 (primary, secondary, and adult classes).
- Taught the confirmation classes and created the post-confirmation class in 1985
- Instructor of Judaica at Midrasha, our local Hebrew junior college 1995-present
- Adult Education at Congregation M'kor Shalom, Temple Beth Shalom, and the Board of Jewish Education of Atlantic County/ Margate Jewish Community Center, and JCC of South Jersey located in Cherry Hill, N.J. Over the years from 1985-present
- Facilitated teacher training programs at JCC for the Board of Jewish Education
- Taught English and history at local Orthodox Yeshiva 2000 to 2006